The end of July is only a couple of days away. I've loved the experiences I've had this summer and learned a ton about learning and have been inspired to dig deeper into several different topics. I know that in a month, year or even ten I probably won't get to all of the topics I've reflected about, but this blog is an historic document that chronicles my experiences throughout the summer and provides inspiration for me and you in the future.
On Wisconsin! I had the opportunity to travel an hour from home and visit the Lumberjack Camp 5 in Laona, WI. We took my father-in-law to ride the train. He's a train nut and this was his Christmas present. Lots to think about and learn here. I remember going as a child but all I remember from then was the petting zoo. Go figure.
I'm not a train guy, but looking at the steam engine and seeing the conductor shovel coal into the fire box to keep it going was a pretty cool experience. The tender (part behind the engine with the coal) also carries 3500 gallons of water. This train ride (11 minutes) is sold as a way lumberjacks traveled to the logging camp (Camp 5). There are a few thinks I think when I think about it:
- Trains again. I reflected on the Rails to Trails section of my first entry about the importance of trains in small communities and commerce. This is the second time I've run across the historical importance of trains - this time as transportation and workhorses for the lumber industry. This warrants looking into further.
- Steam power. Wow! This engine and the 5 or 6 cars it pulls is a lot of weight. Boiling water and using the steam to power this thing is amazing. I need to think about that some more. Why did we stop using it? I get the coal part of it . . . too much fossil fuel and pollution but is this something we should have kept developing? Why did we stop? Something nefarious this way creeps.
- Lastly, there has to be more to the engineer's job than shoveling coal. The rails keep the train on course so there's no steering . . . I need to talk to an engineer and understand the job a little more. Maybe I can even run the train.
We rode in the caboose on the way out to Camp 5.
First, I didn't realize there was a place to sit in the little top part of the car. Was a cool place to ride.
Second, I didn't realize there was a living quarters below the sitting area. The pic below is of the living area; the second caboose had a sleeping area as well.
So many questions and curiosities about this . . . seems like it was an entire lifestyle you signed up for when you rode the rails.
Speaking of riding the rails. I love to watch The Polar Express at the holiday season. I especially love the hobo character. There have been several times recently that I've thought about the hobo lifestyle, how it began and how it became part of our history and culture.
In the museum at Camp 5 there was a piece of hobo art.
This really makes me want to learn more about the whole culture.
Thinks I think . . .
- Why? I know from history class that the Great Depression was the cause of a lot of hardship in the country. This, I believe, is where the hobo culture started. Would like to find out more about it.
- Where? Were people just traveling until they found a place to work? Were they relocating?
- Who? Who can I talk to that was there? Like WWII veterans is this a part of our history that has disappeared? Do we only have stories about it second hand?
- How? How did they survive? I would love to find out more about the lifestyle from books, papers, photographs, art and music from this group. I think by piecing together remnants of their experiences I can paint the whole picture.
Side note: As I think about this I think about our own world and education system. I'm looking to piece together a picture of this group from their contributions to the world. Namely, art, music and literature. I'm thankful I've had opportunities to be exposed to these things during my life. I implore everyone to take a music class, an art class, read classic literature and write. Contribute to the greatness of our time by participating (create, curate). The future will remember you accurately if you leave something for them to examine.
Blacksmiths are cool. I've always wondered what it would be like to swing the hammer, pump the bellows and manipulate metal. A lot of work is what it is.
Could blacksmithing be the earliest form of industrialization? I think I'll have to have a think about that.
Last little bit from my Laona excursion.
Normally I would just shy away from the junk for sale at any tourist attraction. I took this picture because there were several "old world" toys in the bin. Really made me think about early toys and how they were made. It's not just the craftsmanship; it's what they stood for. Simple objects that entertained and amused.
I should make some.
I should make some.
No comments:
Post a Comment