Tuesday, July 24, 2018

Canada!

What a great week!  I went on my annual fishing trip to Canada.  This is something I look forward to every year.  I get to spend time with my best friends doing something I love.  It's more than just the line in the water and fish in the boat (112 fish on Thursday); it's about the adventure.  And the learning that happens.

So, the water level was two feet low.  This presented an interesting situation.  We put in on a small lake and then take about a half-mile meander (10' wide, 3' deep) through a bog to the main lake.  Since the water level was down, this access point was around 1 1/2 feet deep.  Not a lot of water to take a big boat.  Plus, a moose must have walked out at some point and broke off some of the bog so a huge island of floating vegetation was blocking the way.  We had to grab onto it and pull it out of the way so we could get by.


Great time for some problem solving.  The motor plugged with the silt from the bottom of the lake and we had to clean it out before we could continue otherwise the motor would overheat.

Makes me think about the climate and how it affects different areas.  This is the first time we ran into this kind of problem.  We figured it out and got our fishing in.

On Thursday (112 fish day) we also had another unique situation.  A float plane landed next to us on a remote lake.  Instead of being a warden like we thought, it ended up being a guy who was lost and asked for directions.  Very unique experience!


Makes me think about transportation - especially in remote areas of the world.  He had been fishing on one of the plane-only accessible lakes and his GPS quit working.  Without maps on board, he was unable to get his bearings and was in danger of running out of fuel.

I could enjoy looking into bush pilots and remote fishing as well as how transportation has evolved over time.  Seems like a lot to go through for some fishing but we also drove 13 hours to get to this lake so I guess it's all about motivation.

I'm an early riser, so I didn't let the mornings get away from me.


I also thought this pile of boats would make a great puzzle.


Last, but not least, there's the wildlife.  We caught site of two moose swimming across the lake when we were Lake Trout fishing.


Was a great week with great friends.  One of them, Matt, I graduated with from high school and have known for almost 40 years.








No comments:

Post a Comment