Getting Started with Summer
June 3 - 2022 - Summer Kickoff
There's no better way to get started with the summer season when you're a teacher than to kick back and enjoy a social event with the friends you have from school. We started with a campfire at the house and invited friends and families from school. As most school-related things show, there were responsibilities that hung around for some of the PLC members - sports and family - that made it impossible for them to attend. For the rest of us there was a cookout and fire. It was great to laugh, share stories and get to know one another a little better outside the building.
Fires with friends will continue this summer.
Even as the days get longer in the spring and weather gets warmer, things get left until summer that I've planned to do for months and even years. This is especially true when it comes to projects around the house. I got started right away with making a new path, digging some dirt and getting some time in raking. Nothing like facing how little manual labor I do during the school year . . . was a long, hard day and much soreness followed. Made me reflect to 30 years ago when I could operate a shovel 8 hours a day and never think anything of it. Getting old stinks.
As you might notice, this is the path to the campfire. It's been something I've been thinking about for a long time and each summer I cherish the time we spend sitting around the fire sharing our lives together. This is a nice way to get to the location. I should also plant something to take care of the mosquitos . . . they're as bad as I've ever seen in June.
On a philosophical note, it's a manifestation of the belief I have that everyone should make their own path to the destinations they want most.
June 5 - 2022 - Wrapping Things Up
I'm very proud of all Pines students when they walk across the stage. Sometimes it feels like high school graduation is a given . . . like it's just another milestone in the journey. This year while I sat and watched rows of young people getting across the stage and getting the diploma I was struck with how wonderful our students have it with their options for graduation . . . everyone took a unique and personal path to that final march.
I love to be part of the options-based community I have the pleasure to work with.
But that's enough reflection on the end of the year; it's time to get going with summer and all the wonderful possibilities it holds. Today I'm hopeful to keep writing this at least once a week. Writing is a passion of mine and I find that I push myself harder to reflect on my life and pursuits when I have an opportunity [obligation] to share those experiences with others.
When you live at the top of Wisconsin, there are few "northwoods" options available. If we want to travel north and camp, it's the UP or maybe Minnesota; if I want to fish it's Canada. Both Rachel and I are[were] passionate about biking. Three years ago we challenged ourselves to ride some of the best midwestern mountain biking; this year we decided it's time to go back and make this an annual trip. Being the person I am, there's no getting away from looking for learning . . . I love to learn and especially love to learn through my experiences. Contrary to what Rachel likes, I would rather just recognize the learning as I'm having the experience rather than go someplace specifically for the learning. Not that there's anything wrong with it, I just prefer to see all the other learning outside that focus come together. Hopefully the images and reflections show that as well.
For those of you reading this familiar with my approach to learning - consider this Inspiration and Exploration all muddied up together.
Biking, hiking, relaxing and exploring all are part of the theme for our trip to Fort Wilkins. We started by bundling up for the 40-50 degree weather and walking around near the campsite. We've been here before but the shoreline views overlooking the Lake Fanny Hooe and Lake Superior are always a new and exciting experience. The rocky shores are a combination of Basalt rock from volcanic activity and sand, pebble, stones and boulders from glacial activities. I know from the past that Superior itself was a result of a failed ocean and the rock formations on the shore represent the activity.
| Lake Fanny Hooe |
The campground is next to this little lake. I only say little because just around the corner is Superior and everything looks small compared to that.
After 25 years it's nice to know that we can still spend three days together doing what we love and keep a smile on our faces. Rae will always be drawn to every sign she sees but sharing those experiences with someone that not only tolerates me but gets me is priceless.
The first day was cold. The temp struggled to get to 50 and campfires plus the little heater in the camper were a must to keep warm and cozy. I was able to get back together with an old friend that gets neglected during the school year.
| A little Harry Potter to enjoy with coffee |
Since the campground is next to the fort we were able to walk through a piece of 150 year old history and reflect on the changes that occurred during the settlement of the UP. Fur traders had been here before this and the fort was built to try to keep the peace (protection) for people that were finding the resources in the ground (copper) while trying to survive the cold winters and interactions with the residents that had already called this area home long before modern society showed up.
| Fort Wilkins |
It's amazing to walk through the sleeping quarters, offices and hospital buildings that are arranged in a U around a central yard; a tough life for rugged people.
One of the goals I had was to revisit a location that was surprising and meaningful last time we were here. Unfortunately, Bob was not in his box on the mountain but it was still a great memory and worth stopping by to see.
| Bob's box on the mountain |
We wrapped up our trip with a pasty in Houghton and made our way back to "normal" life at home. What a great way to kick off summer!
No comments:
Post a Comment