Monday, September 30, 2019

Whirlwind of Expedition and Opportunity

September 30, 2019

There have been tons of Opportunities in the past couple of weeks and it seems like it's been a whirlwind of activity with all of the students and activities surrounding September.  As it comes to a close I can't help but sit for a minute or two and reflect on everything that's happened.

Starting with right now I'm sitting in Madison for a colloquium on Kiss of the Spider Woman.  This is the second year we're participating and I'm ready for the new challenge with a new book and an exciting study.  Without a doubt I'm excited we have the Opportunity to be a part of a statewide book study and, ultimately, a huge gathering at the UW in the spring.  It was a great experience last year!

When we arrived in Madison we went right to the botanical gardens.  We couldn't pass up on the Opportunity to see what they have to offer.  What a great experience.  We Explored the grounds and were able to walk amongst some pretty amazing plants and architecture.

A walk through the bifrost in the garden.  Kudos to them for a little norse mythology!

This ramp leads up to an elevated platform.  No matter where you go you are surrounded by plants and flowers.  I guess that's why it's a garden.

This is a true gem in the Madison area.  I would love to spend a couple of hours here with students looking at the different plants.  Probably need some kind of an identification seminar first so everyone understands what they're looking at.  Either way, it's a great Opportunity to Observe.

Really cool structure in the complex.  There are tons of cool looking plants surrounding it.  I was even able to get a drink from one of the cupped leaf plants that gathered water from the rain.  Not sure if it was a good idea, but . . . 

Integrated into the area was a rock garden full of plants, running water and paths.

The area has seen a lot of rain lately.  Some of the areas were under water and inaccessible.
Overall it was a very peaceful walk.  There's something like 16 acres of area to explore.  I would love to come down here in the spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment