I don't really want this to be a log so much as I want it to be a conglomeration of activities and experiences from the week. This is why I don't usually put down the daily stamp on it, but rather just let the ideas flow out.
Kind of exciting, I know.
Here's some of the Investigation:
![]() |
| Outside of the flyer, flattened from the original tri-fold design |
![]() |
| Inside of the flyer. Flattened from the original |
![]() |
| Additional Insert into the flyer |
- They're using a pamphlet to talk about the museum for the CCC. What kind of media was used to inform and attract people to the CCC? I remember the museum having many newspaper clippings about the CCC from a variety of newspapers. Must have been big news back then.
- I think about WWII and how we're losing our living history of the conflict. It's inevitable that people are going to get old and die, but isn't it our generation's responsibility to remember? Isn't that why we have history? Shouldn't we continue to learn about our past so we can reflect on it for our future.
- Maybe I need to get a social studies license too?
So this leads me to my next attempt at Investigation. This adventure has further pointed me towards using media as a source of research and information. So far I have:
- Live resource (consume)
- Pamphlet (consume)
- Internet site (consume)
- Locations to go and visit - Rhinelander (create - went there, consumed a little but talked to the person in charge and started formulating my own opinion and further questions. No telling what a pair of eyes, a brain and a few determined people can accomplish.
I think I need to look at a few more pieces of information and come up with some kind of a driving question or main inquisition about the topic. It's too broad now and will be too boring if I just say "this is the CCC."
I searched for a newspaper archive site and came across a cool tool.
I searched for a newspaper archive site and came across a cool tool.
This site allows me to tell it to search in a certain location and time period.
Based on the chart below, I would have to say there's a definite time period the CCC was in the news.
Looks like I have some papers to read. Link to the site.
Other cool stuff:
Got to shave a stick at the end of last week. More than taking the bark off, I appreciated the opportunity to talk to some of the SOAR students while I was out there. Sometimes it's easy to get wrapped up in the job and the blog and the standards and we need to step back a little and remember life and the importance of other people. I think back to olden times when there weren't ten million distractions and people would sit around with things like a stick and a knife, or maybe some needlepoint or a book and talk to one another. They would find out things about one another and spend some time just waxing rhapsodic about accomplishments and achievements or just contemplating things going on in the world. We should do this. We will do this. We need to come up with some clever name for it.
This muffin has a serious chocolate chip mullet going on. I think its just carelessness on the part of the baker, but hey, it tasted fine and I ate it pretty quickly.
One of the things I really like about fall is making different kinds of soups. This is actually three things going on in my kitchen. I'm cooking two kinds of chili and browning a combination of venison burger and hamburger to put in it. The pot in the back is "nicey" chili - not too spicy. The one on the right in the front is "spicy" chili - the one I like. Until the next day. I can't tell you a recipe for it because I don't have one. Each time it turns out a little more unique than the time before. I'm happy with the consistency this time, but the spicy could have been a little more 6 gun style than it is. Makes me think:
- Food is an important part of each culture. I wonder if there are crossovers between cultures?
- The UP has pasties but other cultures have meals folded into crust. Wonder if there's a connection?
- I like to sample local foods when I'm some place . . . local. I could make a project out of traditional foods, dress, entertainment, people . . . at some time and, hey, I'll be in Germany this spring so I would be able to Create something from that adventure. I'll have to give it a shot!
Way cool concert I went to from the HS Band. Nice to see the kids playing (Myria and Hailey) and enjoying the show. I seem to remember the T-Rex from Madison and think it may have followed me up. Anyway, music is wonderful and it was great to sit and enjoy it. I'm usually in the booth. Here's a link to the video if you missed it: Pep Band Concert
I walked home and happened to pass something that we talked about during the day. It's super cool and I'm thinking down the road I may have to do a project on barns. There are so many around and this could be a wonderful summer adventure. Hope I have enough time to Explore my thinks!
As far as barns go, this one's kind of over the top. It's old and needs TLC. I wonder what the history behind it is - especially the design.





No comments:
Post a Comment